Hartford, CT — If there is any doubt about what Tom Foley stands for, look no further than the groups he’s been endorsed by over the past week. On a Friday-before-Labor-Day news dump, Foley was endorsed by the far-right Connecticut Citizens Defense League – the extremist group that’s aiming to roll back our smart gun law.
Today, Tom Foley seems to have sought out and locked up the anti-women, anti-choice, anti-marriage equality vote. Endorsed by the Family Institute of Connecticut — the first time the group has endorsed for Governor — Mr. Foley seems to be willingly accepting the support from this far-right group that aims to turn back the clock on progress.
This is a group that:
- Opposed marriage equality and civil unions in Connecticut
- Opposed the United States Supreme Court ruling on DOMA
- Opposed contraceptive and sex education in school
- Opposed protections for gender identity discrimination
- Supports the Supreme Court’s Hobby Lobby Ruling, rolling back progress for women
- Stands with Focus on the Family
“Day after day, the contrast this November grows more clear. When an anti-equality, anti-choice, extremist group wants to turn back the clock with an 18th century agenda, who do they turn to? Tom Foley. He is their man to roll back progress,” said Devon Puglia, Democratic Party spokesman. “While Dan Malloy and Nancy Wyman were some of the first public officials to testify in support of gay marriage in Connecticut, Tom Foley is standing with a group that wants to eliminate it. He should disavow their extreme statements and oppose their far-right positions.”